Evans Mills was founded by Ethni Evans, a millwright who in July of 1804 purchased a tract of 192 acres for $3.00 per acre and started clearing land. In around 1805, construction of the mills began and by 1809 the land contained a saw mill, a grist mill and a small tavern. The first merchant and innkeeper in the village was Jenison Clark. The Evans Mills post office was established around 1823, with our first postmaster being William Palmer. By 1854 the village contained two inns, three stores, two groceries, one hardware store, three blacksmith shops, one cabinet shop, two wagon shops, one grist mill, one saw mill, a variety of mechanics, four physicians, about 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.